Souther Tide Mill
One of only five remaining grist mills in the United States, historic preservation work is currently underway. Built in 1806 on the bank of the Town River, the mill represents the birth of Quincy’s maritime and granite industries. Quincy granite shipped from here was used in notable sites including the Boston Custom House, Bunker Hill Monument and Kings Chapel. The brig Souther, built as a gold rush ship, was built here and shipbuilding continued through the late 19th century.