Caddy Memorial Park, Quincy Shores Reservation
Named for Private First Class William R. Caddy, United States Marine Corps Reserve (1925-1945), this park with children’s playground equipment is part of the Quincy Shores Reservation managed by the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation and located along Black’s Creek and across from Wollaston Beach. Caddy Memorial Park and Black’s Creek Salt Marsh were used by the Native Americans for fishing, shellfishing, and hunting. Colonists harvested salt hay from the marsh and established several tide grist mills around the estuary. The park is significant not only for its beauty, but also for its history. In 1999, when a new playground was being installed, Massachusetts state archeologist Brona Simon discovered rare Native American artifacts, including 256 stone tools, on the site.